Body Shell Code discussion post

Anything not covered by listed topics

Postby POMMReg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 am

Z.28706 = Autumn 1960-Spring 1961 2dr

Have you checked the top n/s/f engine bay bulkhead - the number
on the NMP plate should be repeated here.

See the Sticky set up by Big Al for identity plate locations.
POMMReg
BANNED USER

Postby Big Al » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 am

POMMreg:

Do I take it what I have is not valid anymore?

Z28707/Z29099 4dr body's produced alongside each other, so whether the former was without s/b anchorage and the latter was WITH....I don't know....

Also I see by your last (I guess I use this in all forms of its use) article in the Morris Minor Magazine we (MMO) still don't get a mention. As the only forum that has offered you credit and space it would be nice to see some acknowledgement for supporting your hard work. I see it akin to you thanking Minor Matters for allowing you to have a column each issue...
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Postby Piet Maurice » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:51 pm

POMMReg:92699 wrote:Z.28706 = Autumn 1960-Spring 1961 2dr

Yes, but that plate isn't there anymore. I think it was removed as part of a former restoration.

The car has a front window in one piece and seat-belts although I don't know if the anchorage points (in the middle under the rear side windows) are original.

I will look for the engine number, but it is a 1098cc (maybe a replaced engine).
Piet
Lover of small post-war classic people-cars
Piet Maurice
New Poster

Postby POMMReg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Should have a 6 digit number stamped into the bulkhead.

Details of its location to be found on one of the Sticky's.

Will begin with an 8 or a 9.
POMMReg
BANNED USER

Postby minormadman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Piet Maurice:92720 wrote:
POMMReg:92699 wrote:Z.28706 = Autumn 1960-Spring 1961 2dr

Yes, but that plate isn't there anymore. I think it was removed as part of a former restoration.

The car has a front window in one piece and seat-belts although I don't know if the anchorage points (in the middle under the rear side windows) are original.

I will look for the engine number, but it is a 1098cc (maybe a replaced engine).

HELLO Piet-many thanks for your inquiry,it is good to have such a challenge,especially to us ordinary enthusiasts who hope to help other enthusiasts learn more about their cars. It also helps test the small records system that we (the MMO Forum) is trying to expand on!

As this has not been picked up previously Piet- do you have any additional information please?

I can confirm Z 28706 is  coded as a 2 door body same as the Millions and about the same time-ish-but dont get too excited yet.

As for buying a car with so little I.D. I find that a little disturbing but of course lots of external influences drive our choice (s)

We do have extensive records but we need clues to guide us along a path of discovery.

Looking quickly I can tell you that I am again slightly alarmed that the number that has been given by you (as estimated from a rough rusted number ) has been previously seen on a Tourer body.

Lots of things can help your situation but we need you to do some leg (measure) work I mean  observation work!

Lets just assume-as a start point  that you have a series 3 Saloon, 2 door shell-with no body (Vin Type) stamping on the firewall bulkhead,no engine/gearbox/diff numbers/( which can be changed anyway) but may be useful in a rough year of changing the units?/no original body colour with the factory undercoat clearly seen  underneath it/a dash clue as in apertures and glove box changes/Air pipe vent hole reference point/original seat belt fitting/door stay bar changes there are lots of additional factors if no -absolutely no numbers are clearly visible .All is not lost-all we need is your help and details as above.
Please pm me answers (and pictures) as above ( including details of the sale (which of course will be kept confidential) and I shall see if we can be of further help!

Have you asked the MMOC to help re-their records?
They are-after all THE Official record keeper according to DVLA in the UK.

Regards

Cliff

"What goes around-comes around"

"You never know when its your turn next-so be as good as you can be"

Phillip Mellor-Grimethorpe school teacher, 1959
minormadman
Uncle Albert

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner 2015 (1)

England (en) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby minormadman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:22 am

Hello Piet Maurice, hope things are going well?

Have not heard back so assuming your probs are solved?? If not please let me know-s above-if I can help.

Regards

Cliff

minormadman
Uncle Albert

Numbers

Postby POMMReg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:45 am

Gleaned around 50ish at the Morris centenary event.

3 'ringers', but all in all, a boon for the MINOReg.

The more we have, the better we shall become!
POMMReg
BANNED USER

Postby old english white » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:08 am

Well done Chris.  That's not a bad number - I know a lot of owners are reluctant to give out details.....  The "ringers" are just a fact of life and I still see cars on ebay with late pattern wipers/dash/air intake hose living under the identity of an earlier car.  Most of these will have been done to transfer an early registration number I guess.  I have also seen the identities of genuine convertibles attached to cut-down saloons.  There are many more "ringers" among Minis, Landrovers, MGs etc which were built across the tax exemption date!  Free road tax is a great temptation!

You have the details of our family Minors - all 3 of which were at Cornbury on the Saturday :)
old english white

Body Numbers

Postby POMMReg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 pm

One owner showed me the Heritage Certificate from their Minor, however, the body number ON the vehicle didn't match with the one on the certificate!

Example of the confusing things Minormadman & myself have to wade through!

I'm sure 99% of Minor enthusiasts believe we're wasting our time - PROPER reasearch involves digging and pestering owners for info.
POMMReg
BANNED USER

Postby minormadman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21 pm

Just to mention here, from a personal point of view, I think it's important from an historical perspective,that some records have to be kept.

Not from a "checking up on people" stand point-we are all different, and have very different needs and aspirations.

But mainly from a standpoint of "this is what it should be"-officially- this is how many Morris Minor cars were made,with these factory records ( right or wrong or which version etc do you believe)

Just what people do with thier cars and why,has nothing to do with anyone else.

If one individual buys a car-specifically wanting a particular type,age,spec,and wants to check that they are not duped, by one on offer,one that purports to be one of the said cars-then some records are useful.

Well that's why I am involved in this "number crunching" exercise.

Also its great, gathering information on these great little cars AND sometimes  the people who own them/have them temporarily in thier costody.

Sometimes these peoples stories,are absolutely fascinating--jobs they have done on the cars ,changes made both big and small,locations the cars are kept at,people who grew up in and around them,trips/adventures they have been on.
I belive in the future, it will be just as interesting for owners to know all of the above info on thier cars-as we now view the research into our Family ancestry.

Well that's my view anyway.

Does not matter if present enthusiasts offer the cars details freely or not,numbers and details on these greaqt cars, will be collected as and when possible-by me,and others who take this job on from me in the future.

Thanks for reading

minormadman
Uncle Albert

Re: Body Shell Code discussion post

Postby qwerty165 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Which one is the body shell number is the one starting with a Z or the BM one?
qwerty165

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby minormadman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Bump and await further info on the same.

Regards

Cliff

minormadman
Uncle Albert

Postby POMMReg » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:36 am

qwerty165 wrote:Which one is the body shell number is the one starting with a Z or the BM one?

The number prefixed by the "Z" is the BODYSHELL number.

Allows the vehicle to be identified by model and approx. date.

J, sure I sent you a print-out of these?
POMMReg
BANNED USER

Postby POMMReg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:36 pm

Please keep info from these plates coming in - we also help our
Australian members - so all info is welcome!

Either to Cliffy or myself at pommreg@gmail.com
POMMReg
BANNED USER

Postby london67 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:25 am

l have a 1951 morris minor ute....was registered in western australia in 1999....the chassis plate ad engine removed before l got it..anyidea how to find out numbers etc?? thanks for any sugestions...
london67
New Poster

Australia (au) AUS Queensland (i.)

PreviousNext

Return to General Mog Chat