Radiator type for US export LHD car

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

Radiator type for US export LHD car

Postby clackkent » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi there

I have a 1959 2 door saloon, chassis number 705687, left hand drive originally exported to the US. I need to buy a new radiator, but I'm confused about the type. The ESM website would lead me to think it needs the older rounded 'tall tank' radiator because the changeover to the new lower tank profile took place in 1960. However, the radiator on my car (somewhat crumpled, see picture) appears to be the newer type. Of course I have no way of knowing if my rad was replaced in the past. Can anyone advise? I am tempted to go for the earlier tall tank type.

Many thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0232.JPG
old radiator
clackkent
New Poster

United States (us) US California (e)

I think ESM are wrong. The tall tank was for the 803cc Split screen cars and did continue in the early 1000s but not as far as 1959/1960 in my opinion.
My own highly original 1959 car has the lower tank like yours. That's what I would fit if you can't get yours reconditioned.
old english white

One other point: Do make sure that the replacement radiator has the low take off for the heater hose as your original. The later cars/radiators did not have this because they used a different bottom hose and a copper pipe from that to a shorter heater hose at the back of the engine. You'll need to modify your car to suit if your radiator doesn't have this.
old english white

Re: Radiator type for US export LHD car

Postby emjay » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:49 pm

The radiators had plugs in the fitting that was used for the earlier heater return when the tap was put in the lower hose.
emjay

Return to Engine