Can't get it started

Standard & electronic conversions

Can't get it started

Postby bl0que » Sat May 14, 2016 4:48 pm

I recently bought a blue four door minor and I cannot get it started.
It has been sitting for many months apparently. It has had brake disk and servo conversions prior to me owning it.
All plugs spark, oil and filter has been changed, rotor arm and points changed and the carb has been taken off and cleaned. I'm at a loss at the moment the engine turns over but doesn't start any suggestions would be very welcome :)
bl0que

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Can't get it started

Postby The vast minority » Sat May 14, 2016 5:12 pm

Basics first,
Is the pump,pumping? Remove the feed to the carb and have an assistant hold the end of the pipe in a bottle and switch on ignition. Did it pump fuel out continuously? If so you have petrol

Next check spark, use a very simple test, if you haven't got a spark tester remove a plug, refit the ht lead to the plug and hold the plug threaded section against the engine at a bit with no paint. Be sure to insulate yourself with a thick rag or insulated pliers.

Have the assistant turn engine over on key, did you see a spark?

Once you have done both these tests, report back

Al
:kermit: Nothing finer than a Morris Minor
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby bl0que » Sat May 14, 2016 5:23 pm

I have fuel from fuel pump and spark I have already checked those :)
bl0que

Great Britain (GB)

Postby The vast minority » Sat May 14, 2016 6:06 pm

Then, is the spark occurring at the right time (leads in correct place) and are the plugs getting wet with petrol?

Check order of leads

Might be worth listing everything you have done as this will save folks suggesting things you already did .
Al
The vast minority

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby bl0que » Sat May 14, 2016 6:51 pm

I have:
changed oil + filter
changed spark plugs and checked they have spark
changed and calibrated points
taken off and cleaned Carb made sure all orifices are clear

I will check the plug sequence and report back :)
bl0que

Great Britain (GB)

Postby bmcecosse » Sat May 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Pour petrol down the carb - if the lead order is correct (and you say you have spark) it will start. If not -check plug lead order 1342 anti-clock round the dizzy cap - and move them all round one by one till it starts...... Would have been better to make sure it ran before making any changes to the engine....... Maybe it's the coil ? :roll:

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1)

Postby Plin » Sat May 14, 2016 8:31 pm

I can't offer any nuggets of wisdom - just wanted to say welcome to the forum :D
Plin

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Anual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby austin » Sun May 15, 2016 6:20 pm

In desperation, two things to try.

While your friend tries to start it, you slowly rotate the distributor until by chance the timing is right and it fires.

If plug leads are wrong, try this one. With dizzy cap off the distributor take the HT lead from the coil and point it near each contact inside the dizzy cap. It won't run, but you should get it to fire.
austin

Postby bl0que » Mon May 16, 2016 8:23 pm

okay so today I checked the lead sequence and made sure it was correct.
Whilst doing this I thought I would check that all the plugs still sparked (just to be sure) and whilst doing the test I realised that when I tested for spark before I used only one lead to test all the plugs...
so I tried all of the leads today and 2 are faulty so I have ordered another set.

However during trying to get it started I have moved the distributor. so my question is when I get the leads and assuming the engine starts up how should I go about resseting the distributor in the correct position as I have only very slightly adjusted it?

Thanks for the help so far guys btw :)
bl0que

Great Britain (GB)

Postby The vast minority » Mon May 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Crumbs.....This is why I asked right at the very start about basics.
If an engine has fuel/air and spark, then, unless there are factors such as timing or mechanical problems, it will run.

Buy some of these, they are only a few quid and you can fit them on all 4 plugs whilst you look for the problems. I've even driven 90 miles with them on one of my minors once when I forgot they were on there. I'd put them on to show someone :oops: and left them.

Dizzy position isn't that big a deal, it will start and then just move it to get the fastest and smothest idle.

Al

image.jpeg
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby bl0que » Mon May 16, 2016 9:13 pm

I know a rookie mistake...
pardon my ignorance but what are those? :p
bl0que

Great Britain (GB)

Postby austin » Mon May 16, 2016 9:38 pm

they fit on a spark plug, and the lead fits on them. If it sparks then these devices flash. Be warned they are not easy to use in bright sunshine.

oh, and it is not intended you drive around with them on.
austin

Postby austin » Mon May 16, 2016 9:41 pm

bl0que wrote:
However during trying to get it started I have moved the distributor. so my question is when I get the leads and assuming the engine starts up how should I go about resseting the distributor in the correct position as I have only very slightly adjusted it?

You need to rotate the distributor to set the ignition timing. Guesswork will get it somewhere near, but really you should use a strobe light on the timing marks.
austin

Postby The vast minority » Tue May 17, 2016 3:43 am

Austin, the ones I have are much brighter than they used to be in days gone. Use in direct sunlight is no problem. They are certainly not intended for driving with :lol: hence my admission and embarrassed emoji. The fact that I did 90 miles tells me they are certainly well made ones. I can provide details to the OP of where mine came from if required.

I should have mentioned the timing light, this is the way to do it properly of course but I suspect the OP may not have one and was therefore keeping it simple. I guessed mine on assembly recently and tested with light afterwards and was spot on.

I use one with a pot for advance/retard. But it's possible to static time as well with a very simple home made test kit.

Here is a link to an example, it's the first one that came up on google but serves to illustrate the "point" well.

Al

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpp67aqwM2Y
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby austin » Tue May 17, 2016 7:53 am

Using a strobe is just so easy. Less faff than doing it static with a test light.
austin

Next

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel