Possible flood

Standard & electronic conversions

Possible flood

Postby Martinminor89 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:06 pm

Hiya guys. My minor is a 70" model. When starting up, I usually have to do it a second time, as first time, it doesn't seem to kick off. I pull the choke out and leave it out for about 2 minutes each time. However, upon doing this, the car tends to splutter a little bit, then cut out. And then it does it again even if the choke is back in when I'm not giving it gas.

I spoke to a friend today, and he informed me that I am flooding it by giving it choke, as the weather doesn't really require it at the moment. Is this really the case?

The car works after it's been left on for a couple of minutes then doesn't give me any trouble at all for the rest of the day. I'm thinking the best thing to do next time would be, engine on, leave the choke alone, and just give it a fair amount of gas before setting off.
Martinminor89

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Re: Possible flood

Postby bmcecosse » Thu May 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Pull the choke to start it - then immediately half way in (so now it will be a fast idle) - then after a few seconds (depending on temperature) push it home. By leaving it out you are 'bore washing' the oil off the bores and rings - not a great idea......

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1)

Postby Panky » Thu May 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Could it be that that pulling the choke out isn't actually doing anything? Have a look what's happening at the carb end as some one pulls the choke out. If the mechanism is working is it moving the throttle slightly to give you the fast idle needed.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Martinminor89 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:50 pm

Well, upon starting it up today for the second time, it seemed to boot up straight away.

However, after about 35-40 minutes usage, upon reversing, it tended to sound spluttered, then the ignition light flicked on and off
Martinminor89

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel