Suggestions please - noisy gearbox (?)

Standard & modified running gear

Suggestions please - noisy gearbox (?)

Postby palacebear » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:55 pm

I've got a series 2 Minor. Its got a 948 engine but seems to have the 803 gearbox still. Its probably the original and will have done around 85,000 miles. It drives fine, (within the limitations of it's synchros) and doesn't jump out of gear at all. Its been a bit rattly but its now got a lot louder and sounds almost like big-end knock when under load. I've had a close listen to the engine (not under load) and except for a rather noisy timing chain, there's no unexpected noises. It's audible in all gears under medium or hard acceleration, and is pretty much constant in 4th gear above 50mph regardless of throttle setting. It seems to get progressively worse on journeys over approx 20 miles, The gearbox oil looks fairly clean and the level (with the car parked on a right-hand camber) is approx 1/4 inch below the filler hole. All suggestions gratefully received.
Drive the Minor
or trim the hedge...
It's a no-brainer
:D
palacebear

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Re: Suggestions please - noisy gearbox (?)

Postby geezer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Though I can't say for sure, It sounds like lay shaft bearings could have perished. Does it make any noise in neutral with the car stopped? If it only makes noise when the car is in motion, I would look elsewhere. Loose u bolts on the rear axle can transmit a horrible noise throughout the car.
Give an Englishman a car and he'll make it leak
geezer

United States (us) US Mississippi (ft)

Postby emjay » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:03 pm

Try to determine if the sound level is related to road speed or engine speed or not direct to either.
emjay

No noise with engine idling with clutch engaged. No noise idling with clutch disengaged. No noise coasting in neutral (tried this downhill up to 60mph - don't try it at home kids!). Most noticeable under acceleration above 35mph in 3rd and above 45mph in 4th
Drive the Minor
or trim the hedge...
It's a no-brainer
palacebear

Postby Panky » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:59 pm

Is the noise there when you rev the engine in neutral?
Panky

Problem sorted - I think!
The 'noisy gearbox' problem first manifested itself whilst driving home in the rain on Sunday. I drove the car today and with the exception of the noisy tappets (this weekends job), the noisy timing chain, and the slight exhaust blow from the manifold flange, it was pretty quiet. Then the rain started. So... windows closed. Quarter-lights closed. Wipers on. Hey presto! The noise was back. Seems to be a combination of wind noise (not mine personally, but ill-fitting quarter-light seals, ill-fitting passenger door weather-seal and ill-fitting gearbox filler rubber plug), a very noisy wiper rack, and the general sound of surface water against a thinly-insulated floor. Combine these elements with the existing tappet, timing chain and exhaust noise, then add-in the not-unreasonable noises from an 803 'box with 86,000 miles under its belt, and a noisy environment is the result! Could be worse, I guess! :D
Drive the Minor
or trim the hedge...
It's a no-brainer
palacebear

Postby emjay » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Typical Minor music. That's a lot of instruments to be playing at once. If only they were playing the same tune.
emjay

To quote the late, great Eric Morecambe in the 1971 comedy sketch with composer/conductor/concert pianist Andre Previn:
'I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order'.
Drive the Minor
or trim the hedge...
It's a no-brainer
palacebear

Return to Axle, Gearbox & Diff