Seat belts (again)

Seats, carpets, trim & improvements

Seat belts (again)

Postby Big Jim » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:47 pm

My old front seat belts are rotten and need replacing . I have a 2 door with roof cut off . I have just bought some KA seats , they have the seat belts socket attached to the seats , has anyone fitted KA seat belts as well ? The seats I have a fitted air bag , are these safe to use , they won't go BANG unexpectedly ?
Big Jim

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Seat belts (again)

Postby Custard » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:13 pm

Are you sure they have an airbag?

I ask because I believe the KA seats are basically the same as the Puma seats I have.

I originally thought they had an airbag because of the wires, but on closer inspection it was actually a pulley and tensioner system working on the mount attached to the seat.

If they are air bags, or the tensioners, they should be fine as long as you don't connect the wires. Bit more nerve wracking if they are heated and you are looking for the right wires to connect up. Otherwise just tape the ends and tape them up under the seat out of harms way.

I looked at the belts, the puma ones may be different to the KA, but they had no metal clip to bolt to the car, instead it was a loop stitched in the belt and a horizontal rod fastened to the car. this allows the lower outboard mount to slide back when not in use so it does not trip people getting in and out of the back, but when in use slides forward to the correct position.

If you do use the belts attached to the seats then the seat mounting needs to be strong. the runners on the ones I have seen all have two bolts on that corner, but only one on the other 3 corners.

I would expect though that with a little checking there will be other belts, probably from a four door ford, that could be fitted and would connect with the seat mounted clip.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby Big Jim » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:38 am

Thanks Sean
I am pretty sure they have airbags , they have "AIRBAG" sign an the side of each seat and the dangling wire disappears up inside the backrest towards the airbag .
Looking at Ebay pictures I think the KA seat belts also have the loop on the belt , so that does not work easily .
Jim
Big Jim

Contributions 2016 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Big Jim » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:46 pm

I have decided to fit new Secure belts . The mounting point in the center of my car looks odd . It is marked with a new bolt in the photo . This position puts it under the seat , On the side if the tunnel seems a better idea?
Big Jim

Contributions 2016 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Panky » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:51 pm

You can see where they are on my car in this pic, a lot further back than yours . I have heard of belt mounts on the tunnel, you just need to be careful the bolts dont foul the prop and big spreader plates used.
Attachments
20150327_143730.jpg
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Big Jim » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:13 pm

I have 2 more holes somewhere close to where yours are , I suspect mine were moved for some reason . That is a much better position .
Big Jim

Contributions 2016 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Return to Interior & Trim