Trackers

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

Trackers

Postby ndevans » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:19 pm

Evening all.

Has anyone fitted a tracker to their Minor?
If so, what type/brand would you recommend?

Cheers N
N D Evans

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDY4xbd

MOG STATUS:- SUSPENSION RECTIFICATION
1969 Traveller
ndevans
Man of Granite

European Union (EU) UK England (.g)

Re: Trackers

Postby Beagle » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:36 pm

I'm interested too but worried by the Tracker Jammers that were advertised at half the price of the Trackers!
Bertie, our 1965 Traveller
Beagle

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Postby bmcecosse » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:44 pm

It's been extensively discussed in 'another place'. No use if the car is parked inside a steel container of course... Just fit a secret switch - and make sure the car is well insured.....

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1)

Postby Millerman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:47 pm

A bit "off-topic" but I found this link interesting http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35716456

Link has also been posted on t'other side
Millerman

Awards: 1
Contributions 2011 (1)

Wales (wl)

Postby chrisryder » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:01 pm

They're so cheap it's hardly worth not fitting one.

I got one for my birthday last summer, by request ;) Something like £20 off ebay, came with a free PAYG sim on Lyca mobile, which has a handy feature of being able to top it up online, and set it to top up automatically when it gets below a certain credit limit, so there's no chance of it running out of credit.

For an extra £10ish, you can get a 12V hard-wire kit to allow it to charge up from the car battery. Mine is wired to the ignition live so as not to flatten the battery. You can set it up in either of 2 ways. You can have it constantly updating its location at a pre-set time period (every 60 secs for instance), which you can follow on a map. I think that's more for 'Big Brother' style company bosses keeping tabs on their van drivers though. The downside of that setup is that it costs more! It uses 3G data rather than text messages, so it only sends a small data 'packet' with each ping, but it adds up.

Mine is set to just respond to a phonecall. Dial the number of the sim card and it'll hang up, and send a text back with co-ordinates, time, battery condition, speed (if moving) and a google maps link to show a pin on a map. It'll only reply to you if you've already set up your mobile number as a 'user'. You program it with a series of text commands, one of which you use to add up to 5 authorised users - any of which can call the tracker and it'll reply. If any non-authorised number tries to call it (random cold call for example) it won't text them, so there's no risk of a random caller getting sent a text with the exact location of something potentially valuable! This way is cheaper, as so long as you don't call it, it won't be using up any credit. The only time it'll contact you out of the blue is if the battery gets to 5%. So I know if I've not used the car often enough when it texts me to say the battery's low!

You can also program it with lots of other automated alerts. You can set a 'geo-fence' so it'll text you with a warning if it goes outside of a specified radius of a specified co-ordinate, or you can set a max speed alert so it messages you if it goes over 70mph, for example.

In reality, I played with it a lot in the first couple of weeks, but now I just forget about it. It only costs me 10p a month or something for when it occasionally texts me to say the battery is low.

Arguably it's not exactly 'value added' at the moment, but much like an air-bag in a modern car, you hope you'll never need it, but the one day you do, you'll be glad it's there!
chrisryder
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Postby ndevans » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:00 pm

At that price it's almost as cheap as a secret switch!
N D Evans

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDY4xbd

MOG STATUS:- SUSPENSION RECTIFICATION
1969 Traveller
ndevans
Man of Granite

European Union (EU) UK England (.g)

Postby dudload » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:12 pm

I purchased one recently and set about wiring it this afternoon. After scratching my head why it wouldn't turn on (wired to brown side of fuse box and black to radiator earth), I turned on the engine for it to light up. Idiotic of me but forgot I have a cut out switch which clearly means body is only negative when switch is on.

Anyone have any tips on how to get round this? Strangely connecting black wire directly to the battery (by resting it on top of new termial) didn't work...
dudload

Great Britain (GB) UK City of London (dx)

Postby Panky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Looks like you're going to have to run both pos and neg straight to the battery
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby dudload » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:47 pm

thanks Panky - do you have any tips on the best way to do this? m mind instantly turns to wedging the wire in between the terminals and the clips, but can't imagine that's the safest!
dudload

Postby Panky » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:58 pm

Maybe a ring terminal crimped onto the end of the wires and held by the clamp bolt would be neater, with an in-line fuse on the live feed. Is it a battery isolation switch you have fitted or is it and ignition cut out 'secret switch'? If it's an ignition cut out then I cant think why it would affect your installation.
Just a thought, is your car still wired positive earth?
Panky

Postby dudload » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:50 pm

thanks Panky, will give the ring terminals a shot. it's a cut out "secret switch", but looking at where it comes through the bulkhead, it looks like it cuts out the connection between the negative terminal on the battery and the bodywork. I think this would mean nothing works whatsoever rather than an ignition one that would only not start the car (but headlights etc. still work?)
dudload

Postby Panky » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:56 pm

Just a thought, Did you wire it to the permanently live side of the fuse box? One side is fed by the ignition so would only be live with the key turned - could be your problem.
Panky

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security