fuel gauge not working

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

Re: fuel gauge not working

Postby crankshaft77 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks Roy there's only one wire running from the fuel gauge to the female connector. I tried a spare fuel gauge and it too is going to half full. Even when I take the wire off the sender and earth it of the body it goes to half full.At least it kinda works lol.
crankshaft77

Northern Ireland (nb)

Postby Panky » Sun May 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Does it still go to half full if you try the gauge out of the speedo, thinking it could be catching on something.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby crankshaft77 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:22 pm

No but I will try that tomorrow panky and see how that fairs out! Thanks.
crankshaft77

Northern Ireland (nb)

Postby crankshaft77 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Well took gauge out and tried it still the same.Also tried the spare gauge it actually went further lol. I,m thinking a new gauge maybe required.
crankshaft77

Northern Ireland (nb)

Postby Panky » Mon May 30, 2016 9:11 pm

What happens if you put 12v straight from a battery across the gauge?
Panky

Postby crankshaft77 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:43 pm

Panky I had a spare battery sitting in my garage so I connected jump leads and put them on the gauge and it went up to full no problem!
crankshaft77

Northern Ireland (nb)

Postby Panky » Tue May 31, 2016 6:05 pm

doesn't sound like the gauge then :?
OK try earthing the gauge, when it's back in the car, with a new piece of wire to somewhere easy to get to when your sitting in the drivers seat and see what happens.
Panky

Postby Corn22 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:51 pm

I have a similar issue of my gauge only reading half full even when full. I tried a different gauge and that was the same. I have earthed the wire and then the gauge shows full. I ran a separate wire to the gauge and still the same. I bought a new sender but still the same.

I am wondering if its the voltage stabiliser now as when I connect the gauge to the feed side it show as 3/4 full but only 1/2 on the other side?

Any suggestions before I buy a stabiliser?
Corn22

Postby Panky » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
Have you tried running a separate earth from the sender to the body, I would have thought a dodgy stabiliser would cause the gauge to wander at different engine revs, but if all else fails :?
Panky

Postby Corn22 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Panky wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum :)
Have you tried running a separate earth from the sender to the body, I would have thought a dodgy stabiliser would cause the gauge to wander at different engine revs, but if all else fails :?

Thanks, been lurking for ages but not got round to posting. Most things I have found by searching.

If I earth the cable to the petrol tank it showed full so the earth to the tank is good.

Anyway I have got it working now. I lost count the number of combinations I tried.

I figured out the wiring was fine so it must have been a combination of other things. Three fuel senders all gave the same 1/2 reading when connected with everything as it was. So I assumed it must be at the gauge end. Had tried a different stabiliser and fuel gauge with no different. Then I tried the different stabiliser and gauge together and it shot up to 3/4. So after slight adjustment on the fuel sender arm I have a gauge that read from empty to full. :D :D :D :D

Time for a beer
Corn22

Postby Panky » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Well done that man, good bit of investigative research that I'm sure will be of help to others :D
Panky

Postby morrisminor1960 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi, new to the forum.

We bought a Morris built in 1960 and registered in 1961 in South Africa, Cape Town.
I have had my baptism into running an old car a few weeks after purchasing it, I ran out of fuel and then was unable to start the Morris.
With the help from the former owner I ended up looking for a wire in the loom and directing it to the fuel pump.

Started once done and then discovered the fuel gauge is not registering.
Will be investigating the petrol tank unit to see if it got stuck.

Thank you all for the information and help.
morrisminor1960
New Poster

South Africa (za)

Postby Plin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Sorry to hear of the woes with your new Minor - hope you manage to sort them soon so you can enjoy driving it.
Plin

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Anual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Previous

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security