Switches

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

Switches

Postby 33sport » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:36 am

image.jpeg
I have just acquired a 1959 minor and having difficulty in finding a download of a owners book, as I'm unsure what some of the dashboard switches operate.
The car has traficators but do not work.
Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpeg
33sport

United Kingdom (uk) UK Kent (.i)

Re: Switches

Postby Custard » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:33 am

Welcome to the joys of Minor ownership and working out what is original and what has ben changed by previous owners.

Bottom row from the left,

Choke, Wipers, Key just one position, it does not operate the starter, Lights pull for sidelights then twist for dip beam, main beam is switch on the floor to the left of the clutch, then at the right is the pull starter.

Switch to the lower right of the steering wheel should be indicators/trafficators.

The other two either side of the speedo are extras, I would guess Spotlights on the left and Fog on the Right.

Mine had a switch but no actual lights.

Sean

Just noticed the heater switches under the parcel shelf, one of mine was on the underside of the dash. One operates the valve on the back of the engine that lets the hot water circulate through the heater and the other operates a flap that supposedly lets "fresh air" in from the back of the engine bay.

You should have another probably stiff push type switch somewhere that squirts water on the windscreen.

I think that covers all the switches and buttons apart from one small one that switches all the speedo lights out. I will let you find that one yourself. :D
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby old english white » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:39 am

As already said, most Morris Minors have had alterations/modification during their long lives! The upper two switches on the dash panel - along with the two warning lights are indeed non original. The indicator/trafficator switch is also an addition as the trafficators originally fitted would have been operated by a column stalk on a 1959 car.
The heater would only have had two controls originally - the one in the centre of the heater which is a rheostat controlling the fan and one beneath the parcel shelf which opens/closes the fresh air flap. The third one, which opens/closes the heater valve on the back of the engine is from a later car as a 1959 model made do with a brass tap on the cylinder head to do that job. The parcel shelf looks to be from a later car, having the black vinyl covering and swivel ash trays.

Windscreen washers would not have been fitted to the car originally but will have been added at some stage (they became a legal requirement) and the control for them placed whereever was thought suitable at the time!

It should be fairly easy to obtain a correct handbook for your car from an autojumble or ebay or maybe a wanted ad?

Hope you enjoy your new Minor motoring :D
old english white

Postby 33sport » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:00 pm

thank you for the information and some interesting points. The trafficator switch fitted, I wonder was there an extra stalk for this or did it operate with the indicator stalk. And if the latter how could I wire this to work?
The car according to the history I have did undergo a partial spruce up back in 1998.

Im in two minds whatb to do with her, do I undertake a complete restoration or just drive the car as it it?
your thoughts please. :D
33sport

United Kingdom (uk) UK Kent (.i)

Postby Custard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:54 pm

If you have never owned a Minor before I would get her road legal and drive her for a few months.

If you did any work first and then drove her you may then wish to undo some of it to improve brakes and performance.

I would drive her a bit browse this forum to see what has been done there are all sorts on here from immaculate standard to immaculate modified and others in between that still put a smile on their owners faces. Visit local shows and look at as many as you can to see what has been done, what you like and what you don't like.

Then you can decide how best to proceed.

Do get hold of a manual though and make sure she gets greased and oiled where she should. No 1 priority is don't let them get any worse.

Also if you are unsure about her at all I would consider getting an MOT done or at least get the brakes checked on rollers and the pipes and hoses inspected along with the steering and front suspension joints. Lights Wipers Washers Horn etc you can check yourself.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security