1959 heater switch

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

1959 heater switch

Postby peterm » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi. My rheostat type heater switch is a bit temperamental in operation. I want to take it off to try to repair it, but can't figure out how to get it off. Can anyone help please? I'll check the usual suppliers, but does anyone know offhand if replacements are available?
peterm

England (en)

Re: 1959 heater switch

Postby peterm » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Ignore second part of question. Found one on ebay. Would still like to know how to get the old one out though.
peterm

England (en)

Postby emjay » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:39 pm

As I recall there are metal spring clamps that hold the front and rear covers to the heater matrix. Remove those so that you can remove the front cover. There is a threaded ring on the outside holding the switch in place. If you have the fresh air duct, you have to remove the outer duct first.
emjay

Postby Rick1963 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:18 pm

I had the same problem, I bought a good 2nd hand heater with a working rheostat and after looking at how it is assembled concluded that the only way to get inside the front plastic cover to get to the rheostat and to clean it properly is to take the heater out. I found you can't get to the clip at the top that holds the front on.
Even after unscrewing the switch from the cover there are screws which hold the wires to the body of the switch and you need the front cover off to get at them.
It is usually dirt on the tracks that cause the problems.
So I headed off to Maplin and bought some switch cleaner with a long plastic tube. Twisting your body into positions it has never been in, you can spray cleaner into the rheostat and twist the knob to clean the track. It worked for me as mine was either full on or off and now I have control over the fan.

I just need to work out how to make a blanking shield so I can improve the demisting on the windscreen.
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security