To Dip or not to Dip

Finishing, Windows, Hoods & Trav wood etc

Re: To Dip or not to Dip

Postby jonathon H » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Think I said fit the wood first and build the steelwork to it, rather than the other way around :D ;)
JLH MINOR RESTORATION LTD
www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk
jonathon H
Tuning Wizard

Awards: 3
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Postby ukfactotum » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:24 pm

I understood that - it's just that all other advise I receive says leave the old wood in place, replace steel as required and then replace rotten wood with new, i.e. removing the wood first allows the body to distort?

Graham
ukfactotum

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby jonathon H » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:18 pm

Well if the woodwork is bad enough to be replaced and the car requires substantial welding, neither are going to be any good for datum points. So long as the car is supported in key areas to prevent too much movement, I'd remove all of the old wood replace with new then build to the new wood. Its easy to get a wood set square which then allows you to work on the steel. Unless its dramatically obvious that the steelwork is not square, i.e. B posts dropped or car collapsed between A post and rear arch I think this is the best approach. Its worked for us over the last 23 years. :D ;)
JLH MINOR RESTORATION LTD
www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk
jonathon H
Tuning Wizard

Awards: 3
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Postby ukfactotum » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:04 am

Thanks Jonathan - that's why I started using the forum; in order to draw on those many years of experience ;)
ukfactotum

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Classicfix » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:58 pm

I have just bare metalled my van with synstrip which is a strong paint remover. However you must use a good mask with this product and good ventilation. It is quite labour intensive as I had 4 layers but in my view is better than using a grinder with a wire brush as this can distort the panels.

If time is a problem then you may need to consider dipping but I have no experience of this.
Classicfix
New Poster

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Big Jim » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:45 am

I came across a place near me that did I , I think Dudley area . They had just pulled a Saab out . I have to say what metal was left looked like new . I think if I was going to a full strip down I would not hesitate . The cost of the Saab was £900.
Jim
Big Jim

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Previous

Return to Body, Paint, Glass & Wood Work