New MMO Mobile App *POLL*

Some rules, smallprint & FAQ's

Should we introduce the Tapatalk app for access to the forum using mobile devices.

Yes, Tapatalk is the way forward.
41%
No, I wouldn't use it.
12%
I'm not bothered either way.
47%

Total votes : 17

New MMO Mobile App *POLL*

Postby MickEssex » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi All,

after a mention in another post and hitting some problems in the build of the mobile version of the forum, I have done some research and some testing using a 3rd party mobile app called Tapatalk. Some of you may be familiar with the app, others will not. This app once enabled on the forum, will give you access to the forum in a mobile friendly way, it allows viewing, posting and adding of photos etc (All photos added to the forum using the app are hosted on Tapatalk servers and not ours).

The use of this service is free for both users and the MMO, but I think ads may be served while using the app.

Another option is a premium option but for a $10 per month fee for the MMO (free to users who download the app), this option enables MMO branding for both Apple App and the Android app with additional features:

Premium - $10 per month
All the features in Tapatalk Free + a “Build Your Own” (BYO) branded mobile app
Your name and logo on an app in both app stores
No need to submit apps to the app stores.
No Apple Developer License. Google Play Developer License required (The license is $25, and Tapatalk will refund $10/mo for initial 3 months to more than cover cost of the license).
Google App Indexing to improve your SEO rankings by Google
Control of advertising through DFP and AdMob
Push Notifications
Photo & Video Sharing in addition to Attachment support
Smart Banner directing members to your app
Customization of tabs and colors
Access to enable/disable signature, smart banner and media sharing in Tapatalk App

As access to the forum seems to be made from mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones more often now than through laptops and desktop computers, I think the addition of the app would be a move in the right direction for us. Keeping up with the times is necessary to stay alive. Access to the forum as it is now, would not change at all, if you access the MMO site using your browser on your pc or mac or indeed mobile device, then you still can with no differences.

I am starting a poll to see if this is worthwhile setting up, We would start of with the free version to see how our members find it, if successful, after a trial period I will start another poll to see if the paid for premium app is the way forward.

I look forward to your comments on this, especially if you have used Tapatalk before for accessing other forums.

Onward and upward!
RagnarImage Previously owned Cassie Image Julie Image
MickEssex

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

Re: New MMO Mobile App *POLL*

Postby DaveS » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Well done again Mick without guys like you the site stands still.
Personally I wouldn't use a mobile app (probably an age thing)
Hope you get the response you need to peruse.
DaveS
Duffer

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Millerman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 pm

Mick

Thanks for taking the time to research Tapatalk. I have just "googled" it and found this Youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ELOO08uC0U so I now know more about the app.

I probably won't use Tapatalk but a I anticipate many forum uses have and it will make the MMO forum more accessable on phones and tablets but does the app work on Windows phones?

I'm really pleased to see this forum keeping up with technology unlike another very wealthy Minor forum.

So thanks again to you and the admin team

Colin
Millerman

Awards: 1
Contributions 2011 (1)

Wales (wl)

Postby MickEssex » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:05 pm

The Tapatalk app as far as I can work out will only work on Apple and Android devices.
MickEssex

Postby The vast minority » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:12 pm

The forum works fine on iPad and iPhone as is, therefore I wouldn't use it myself.
I never acces this site from a PC, only use the iPad.
Hope this helps
Al
:kermit: Nothing finer than a Morris Minor
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby MickEssex » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:18 pm

I access the forum from the laptop at home but I do use my Samsung Galaxy S6 (Android) when I am out and about. I find that it is extremely difficult to use as the format is all wrong and the text is far too small. I can zoom in to read, but when posting a message the page refreshes and the text becomes small again. :roll:
MickEssex

Postby MickEssex » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:21 pm

I am also hoping that I can get some of the FB users to use the forum, an app would be better suited to them I think.
MickEssex

Postby Custard » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:02 pm

I very occasionally read the forum on a phone, but never post from it.

I only ever post from a laptop, but then I use a proper keyboard and have 2 pc's and a laptop on my desk at work and virtual keyboards are just too slow for me,

Horses for courses I guess, but supporting the current format, mobile apps and a facebook page does seem quite a lot.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby Panky » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:37 pm

I never access the forum through a mobile device myself (my phone is for phoning people) but I can see the attraction of a simplified method for others who do. I'm very happy with the way I access the forum and a great job you're doing to keep up with the requirements of generation mobile :D
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Plin » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:09 pm

I only use the phone when I can't get to the computer as I prefer to use the computer to access and use the site. But I do think the phone app is a good idea :D as you say there are many folks who do access the forum that way and it can be a pain with the font sizing.
Plin

Awards: 9
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby iank » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:35 am

Mick, you have a good point on the phone version as to size and I rarely use it myself because of that, but it is handy to catch up when out and about. With the help of Al and you tube it is easy enough to place an app for it on your iPad and probably other forms of tablet, maybe we could ask others to give it a try and report back as to if they where successful or not? . Personally now that I have it set up on here I am a happy camper. I hope I haven't opened up too big a can of worms with my other post, as I realise there is more than enough to keep you busy with the maintaince of this forum.
Everything was impossible until someone did it
iank

New Zealand (nz)

Postby MickEssex » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:26 am

It really isn't a lot of work to set up Tapatalk on the forum. I tested it on the test forum I use to test out modifications before implementing them on here and it took 15 minutes from start to finish and that included installing the app on the phone to test it. Updates for Tapatalk are few and far between so not much maintenance involved either. I did notice that it adds a line of text at the bottom of the message saying "Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk". Whether this can be disabled in the app I'm not sure, but it probably can be in the premium branded version.
MickEssex

Postby MickEssex » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:58 pm

I have just updated the Favicon file for the site. Instead of the old one which is now outdated, I have created new ones to suit all of the different platforms, including Android and iOS. Ian you created a link on your home screen, do it again and you will get a much better icon. :)
MickEssex

Postby MickEssex » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:05 pm

iank wrote:Mick, you have a good point on the phone version as to size and I rarely use it myself because of that, but it is handy to catch up when out and about. With the help of Al and you tube it is easy enough to place an app for it on your iPad and probably other forms of tablet, maybe we could ask others to give it a try and report back as to if they where successful or not? . Personally now that I have it set up on here I am a happy camper. I hope I haven't opened up too big a can of worms with my other post, as I realise there is more than enough to keep you busy with the maintaince of this forum.

As it isn't going to impact on the main site (except for a prompt to install the app when visiting from a mobile device), I have decided to install the necessaries to the server and allow people to have a go with the Tapatalk app. If the reports from members are bad I can soon remove it again. I'll do this tomorrow evening once I am home from work.
MickEssex

Postby MickEssex » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:37 pm

Okay I couldn't resist it, it is installed and ready to use. :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
MickEssex

Next

Return to About This Board