Leaking Shock Absorber.

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Leaking Shock Absorber.

Postby imagoodbloke » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi Guys. I have a small leak from one of my front shocks., it appears to be from what I guess is the drain plug at the bottom (it's the same size as the filler plug at the top). To fix, is it as simple as nipping up the plug, or should I remove the plug and replace a washer or something??
what is the best oil to refill them with, my manual says SAE 20/20W, but reading some posts it could be thicker.
Thank you for your help. Regards Pete
imagoodbloke

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Re: Leaking Shock Absorber.

Postby Panky » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:46 pm

Be careful if you take the plug out as there's a valve behind it. Yes it's a good idea to replace the oil with SAE 30 or SAE 40, makes the ride a bit stiffer but not too much. Are you sure the oil is coming from the plug and not dribbling down the casing from the arm seal, worth checking - but try nipping the plug up it wont do any harm.
Panky

Postby imagoodbloke » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi Panky, thank you for your advise, should I upgrade the oil all round to sae40 or just the fronts.? Also do I drain by simply removing the bottom plug, I'm a little worried by the valve you mentioned!.
What are your thoughts on fitting an anti roll bar, I want to improve the handling before I make any performance up grades.
Pete.
imagoodbloke

Postby Rick1963 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Replacing the oil front and rear will make a noticeable improvement on the handling. The valve Panky speaks of is part of the drain plug so be careful when removing the plug.
You will probably find replacing the oil in the dampers negates the need for a anti roll bar, so before buying one I would recommend replacing the oil and then making a decision on the roll bar.
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Panky » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Yep very happy with how my traveller rides, I personally wouldn't change anything else on the suspension as the car is now just as I like it - handles very nicely :) When you the drain the old oil put a container under just in case anything drops out, the are a couple of small washers in there so best to be safe. Then when you are re-filling you will need to bounce the car on its suspension to get the new oil where it needs to be, pulling up as well as pushing down to get as much travel on the damper as possible - you will certainly feel the resistance once the damper is full. It's best to then drain the oil off again as a flush and repeat the filling operation.
A bit of advise - wear some rubber gloves when you are draining the old oil. it will probably be as thin as water and stink of fish :?
Panky

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes