Maurice - a very long term project

Follow inspiring projects as they develop then show them off !

Re: Maurice - a very long term project

Postby Nourish » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Must admit - I've been doing that, bent a piece of copper plate to the same profile and clamped it in. I've got the welder set on low as I can - the feed is stuttering and I've tried"adding" the weld to both sides.
Nourish

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

England (en)

Postby Panky » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 am

It's a matter of small tacks to build up then grind back, any pin holes will eventually promote rust :(
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby austin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:12 pm

If pinholes are properly cleaned up and painted from both sides then it should be ok. But I'm more bothered about the strength of your finished welds. If it is all a series of small tacks then it might be very weak. The weld does need to penetrate sufficiently and that includes penetrating the last 'tack' that you did.

As I said earlier I can't get a good weld with my welder on lowest power so suggest you try a bit more power and/or wire speed. Try holding the welding nozzle at a low angle and trailing the weld behind it. Sometimes a poor weld has to be repeated, with more power, more weld-metal and creating a wider bead.
austin

Postby Nourish » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Over the festive period I pesuaded my Wife and 16 year old daughter to give me hand to lift Maurice out of the garage and turn him around and put him back in.

IMG_20161228_155000.jpg

I'm struggling now to push myself out there to carry on again now on the L/H side
Nourish

Contributions 2016 (1)

England (en)

Postby Nourish » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Slow progress but progress it is.
I fixed up the inner sill step and welded in a new boxing panel and its extension panel.
IMG_20170214_200401.jpg

Tonight I finished off patching the rear quarter panel.
IMG_20170212_170122.jpg

IMG_20170214_195935.jpg
Nourish

Contributions 2016 (1)

England (en)

good progress,

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Looking really good. It'll soon back on its wheels.
greendefender123

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Nourish » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:08 pm

IMG_20170309_142722.jpg

I've got the inner sill and floor panels in but when I filled in the holes for the seat fixings the front floor panel has buckled!
Looking on the web heating and then quenching the panel can shrink the panel back into shape - well that's the theory!
Should I just heat the seat fixing location? - hoping that a Mapp gas cylinder will get it hot enough.
Nourish

Contributions 2016 (1)

England (en)

Postby ruairidh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:32 pm

BIG Hammer. :lol:
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Postby emjay » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

A hammer will only stretch it more. Most procedures for shrinking metal apply to damage where the stretch is limited to a local area and this are is heated and between the surrounding metal influence and careful hammer and spoon work the red hot metal can be brought back to the original shape. You have a piece that now is too big. Can you jack the sill out a bit? You situation is more like dad said they did on-board Navy ships. He said they would heat the deck up and then threw water on it. So I tried it without any luck on a multiple hit van door. I didn't have the rest of the ship helping to force it back into shape. The workshop manual shows a pile of wet asbestos with holes in and heat is applied through the small holes. I think the theory was to have the cold steel surrounding the hot steel to coax the hot steel to occupy less space. I think the other trick is to have a way to move the panel into final shape so that the internal stress war will take place. You might want to try heating the entire area and then have a way to clamp it into shape. Then as it cools it might lay flat. Sorry no successful trials on my part. That is just the theory. I actually only had the one need many years ago and only recently read about these other approaches because some day I plan to tackle those doors again. I actually got the door fairly straight using wet towels, heat, and careful hammering but when I closed in the holes the previous owners drilled to hold the putty, they got all wavy again, so I just put filler on back then.
emjay

Postby Nourish » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:23 am

I tried heating the area - first with a hot air paint stripper and then with a Mapp gas torch to no avail, so I decided to cut the panel to remove the excess.
Worked out reasonable well.
IMG_20170310_175042.jpg
Nourish

Contributions 2016 (1)

England (en)

Postby Nourish » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:34 am

Been havin' trouble with my welder - a '98 150 turbo migmate. I had put a new plastic liner in but the wire got hot (?) and melted to it so I put my old bicycle Bowden outer cable back in but I hadn't realised it's plastic liner had worn and so was arcing out at the drive wheels! I put a new piece of outer cable back in and it works well.
Although I am thinking that perhaps it only works at it's best from cold - after using it a bit the weld seams to be very erratic.
Nourish

Contributions 2016 (1)

England (en)

can you increase the power setting slightly, they do get hot quick, and keep your nozzle clean and tight,

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby MakeMinorv8 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Nourish wrote:Been havin' trouble with my welder - a '98 150 turbo migmate. I had put a new plastic liner in but the wire got hot (?) and melted to it so I put my old bicycle Bowden outer cable back in but I hadn't realised it's plastic liner had worn and so was arcing out at the drive wheels! I put a new piece of outer cable back in and it works well.
Although I am thinking that perhaps it only works at it's best from cold - after using it a bit the weld seams to be very erratic.

Have you done 'the mod' on the feed wheel? SIP's are notorious for flexing at the drive wheel bracket and there is an easy fix.
2011 MMOC Nationals Custom Class winner
V8 Custom Convertible 'Bumble' currently in long term hibernation awaiting a freshen up..........
MakeMinorv8

United Kingdom (uk) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Postby Nourish » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:47 pm

This is an older model (supposed to be better than the later), have braced the feed wheels. Turning up the heat will surely make the problem worse.
I laid some really nice welds this morning and then I got holes and pigeon SWEARING MODERATED!
I'll see if I can find a better fan to keep it cooler.
For the mig to cool down - should it be switched off - is the transformer creating heat when it's on stand by?
Nourish

Contributions 2016 (1)

England (en)

PreviousNext

Return to Long-term Projects & Showroom