The resurrection of my poor rusty moggie Van

Follow inspiring projects as they develop then show them off !
Looking good. What do you use the bottles for? .I've got a set but got no oxygen I can use propane but can't find a cheap way of getting some oxygen. I am doing a lead valley and fancied doing some lead welding
diggerjones

Diggerjones the oxy/acetylene bottles are half industrial size for ease of transportation and are from BOC! I do ALL my welding with them, mild steel, stainless steel, plug welding seam welding, tack welding, bending and shaping,shrinkage, I have used oxy/acetylene since I was trained aged 19 and I'm 45 now. I prefer it to any other type of welding and I also have a Mig and Tig but are RARELY used. the naked flame I find I can control and use a lot better than other forms of welding! It suits my welding needs and adopted style perfectly. Kind regards. Chris :D
Chris7

England (en) UK England (.g)

I am 45 but I started life working on a farm so you can imagine how my van is bogded up :lol: you use what you have. I have a inverter welder that's good.
Hobyweld was the best deal $60 deposit and $30 for fill up same size as yours I think. Not sure I could use them so don't want to spend. I will proberly borrow a bottle and have a go.
diggerjones

I am very pleased with the end result, as there is no distortion to the large main side panel around the wheel arch. Using oxy/acetylene there is always the risk of distorting such a panel close to the heat, for nomatter how good you may think you are, there is always the risk that you might just be a little too slow with the flame in one particular spot. Anyway its a home made wheel arch, welded on, cleaned up, a smidgen of Acrylon and sprayed with primer. Kind regards. Chris :D 557558559
Chris7

The following pics are of the repair to the offside drivers door! The complete underneath section was rotted and had to be refabricated, it was made in two repair sections, due to the width limitations of my bender and the edges were set using a home made edge setter or Joggler. The outer skin lower panel section had to also be fabricated, welded then cleaned and Finally primed with anti rust primer! Kind regards. Chris570571572573574574
Chris7

Very neat, liked the wheel arch too, missed that when it was first posted.

I have the same limitation on the folder.

Did you weld one piece on and then the other, or did you weld the two together first into one full length panel and then fit that?

Thanks.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Hi Sean! I welded the outer panel skin repair section first, so that I had a guide for the underneath two part panel replacement section and I then welded each piece individually so that I could use and remove easily wooden spacer blocks. Then I welded the two together and used the home made joggler to compress the outer skin section over the underneath panel section lip.the lip had to be manually shaped as the bender wont do 2 bends in such close proximity! Kind regards. Chris :D
Chris7

The next stage was to replace the very rusted Cargo bay floors and wheel arches! Available from Charles Wells! The pictures illustrate the removal of the nearside cargo area, exposing the rotted arch on the side panel, which was removed and replaced with a home made panel (see previous post) the next pic shows the spare wheel bracket, welded in place! Next the cargo floor at the cab end PLUG welded to the lower panel,then the complete replacement panel in place with the home made, silver petrol pipe to tank cover! Kind regards. Chris590591593592594
Chris7

Plenty to keep you busy, keep up the good work it's looking very nice
Glad to see there are still nice people about
Tony63

Awards: 1
Contributions 2014 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Essex (.m)

Thanks Tony
Chris7

Brilliant fabrication work a credit to you ;)
irmscher

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

Brilliant stuff!
I'm also a gas welder but have been a bit shy of attempting thin car panels due to likely distortion, clearly you've shown it can be done and very well too,
Do you use a very small nozzle size, like a 3 or something, and a tiny flame, to avoid getting too hot?
Lurch

Great Britain (GB) Jolly Roger (.f)

Previous

Return to Long-term Projects & Showroom