Mac users please.

Non Mog stuff

Mac users please.

Postby The vast minority » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:10 pm

Nowt to do with cars, sorry.

I'm done with Windows as its just a dreadful experience these days. How can they have got it so wrong :roll:

Thus, I'm looking at 27 inch IMac with fusion drive. Anyone got any experience of transferring photos and other docs to the IMac from a Windows formatted back-up drive? I'm not worried about anything else, just the file transfer between Windows and Mac. Once this is done I'll put a brick through the laptop and take it to the tip where Windows 10 should be.

Also, will the external optical drive I have previously used for Windows be able to talk to a Mac or will I be taking this to the tip with the windows machines?

Thanks

Al
:kermit: Nothing finer than a Morris Minor
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: Mac users please.

Postby Corn22 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:36 pm

My iMac can read my old windows external drives, my iMac is 7 years old and still going strong. The external drives were ones I used for windows xp , I have also transferred files via a USB drive from windows 8.1 to my imac
Corn22

Postby The vast minority » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks Corn22.

I'm decided, it's going to be a new 27 inch 5K iMac.

I'm hearing a few tales of failed fusion drives but the cost of he SSD option is a. It steep so I'm going to risk it i think.

Many thanks
Al
The vast minority

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby TDV102 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Surprised by such a dislike of Win10. Win8 was an utter lemon, but 10 has been quite good so far for me. Once you turn off all the snooping and set it all to run in minimum configuration it's quick and stable. Don't use Edge though, it's set to track and profile by design. IE11 is still in there, I use it set to permanent In Private mode so it doesn't clutter the machine with masses of temp files or cane you with advertising. Mac's have such a price premium, and more suited to multimedia use.
TDV102

United Kingdom (uk) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby The vast minority » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:24 am

Totally get where you are coming from there
It was the Windows 8 experience that did it. It really made me despise Windows and with a Windows 10 install that didn't seem to work much better I just put the laptop away and left it for months. Doing everything on an iPad or the works Windows 7 laptop.

I dug the Windows 10 laptop out recently and did a master reset back to factory which interestingly Left 10'as the OS!
It's now much better, works fine in fact but I just can't get over how bad 8 was and I still can't abide all the constant updates of Windows which seem to happen every time I switch it on.
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Return to Off Topic