Hello from Bertie

If you are new to the board or have never made a post before, don't just lurk around, post in here and introduce yourself and your Minor if you have one. It would be great to hear from you.

Hello from Bertie

Postby Bertie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Ok i am really Fred. But Bertie was my Moggie, well ok an old Moggie. At my stage in life a Bird Pulling E Type would require a block & tackle to get me out. Still love the thought of her having to wear stockings in case the fan belt breaks. I carry a knife to make sure the fan belt breaks. Yeah i cheat. Guidance into a new Moggie would be helpful. To keep up with mad kids on mobile phones a car over 1000cc would be required complete with disc brakes that dont lock up. Decent lights would not go amiss. I spent my youth guided by Joe Lucas the prince of darkness with 6V lighting. Suspension would be nice along with a windscreen demister. Drum breaks how apt yep the drum breaks & rust & skined knuckles Oh nostalgia. The MOT consisted of placing a building brick in the passenger foot well driving in the yard & hitting the anchors. If the brick fell over it passed. So be helpful guide me to the must have Moggie bits for 2017, that way i will know what really needs updating. The looks are fine just like mine, well when i am not wearing rose tinted glasses. looking to buy a car the bird would be classed as an optional extra along with me if she finds out.
Regards
Fred.
Bertie
New Poster

England (en) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Re: Hello from Bertie

Postby woodywoodchipper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Welcome,

have fun with your quest,

Alan.

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Lurch » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Actually I've found a mog to be a very effective girl magnet, they love em! ;)
If you also have a smallish cute dog leering out of the passenger side, you're on to a guaranteed winner, trust me...
Lurch

Great Britain (GB) Jolly Roger (.f)

Postby Plin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:18 am

:D Welcome to the forum Fred - hope you find a suitable Minor soon (though some girls prefer to drive their own Moggies! :) )
Plin

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Anual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby BrianHawley » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:40 am

Welcome Fred.

I've always thought the sticking as a fan belt thing was a myth. Anybody ever succeeded with one for more than a mile or two?

Sent from my TENCH 889B using Tapatalk
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby BrianHawley » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:40 am

BrianHawley wrote:Welcome Fred.

I've always thought the sticking as a fan belt thing was a myth. Anybody ever succeeded with one for more than a mile or two?

Stocking!

Brian

BrianHawley

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby Lurch » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:54 pm

I have actually done this, kind of,
I had to buy a pair of tights from a corner shop to do the classic fan belt business.
It did work sufficiently to get home.
The secret was to use the waistband bit of the tights as this is more robust, I managed to force it over pulley doubled as it were, and it did the trick.
The motor was a fiesta as I recall.
Lurch

Postby TDV102 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:04 pm

And greetings from me - another Hambletonner. Met my good lady when I was a young buck driving a 2-door '55, still together. So yes, Minors pull the ladies! I even have a picture of her polishing it!
TDV102

United Kingdom (uk) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby plastic orange » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi and welcome.

PO
Image Image

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 4 years in a row
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby BrianHawley » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 am

Lurch wrote:I have actually done this, kind of,
I had to buy a pair of tights from a corner shop to do the classic fan belt business.
It did work sufficiently to get home.
The secret was to use the waistband bit of the tights as this is more robust, I managed to force it over pulley doubled as it were, and it did the trick.
The motor was a fiesta as I recall.

Interesting.

I only have experience of trying it with a stocking and could never get a knot that would pass over the pulley without derailing.

I remember it used to be possible to buy a "universal temporary fan belt". Maybe still is. It was a hollow rubber tube that you cut to length. There was a thing like a pin with a taper on each end that you used to join it. They never worked very well either.

Brian

BrianHawley

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby Lurch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:07 pm

That's the thing about using the waistband of a pair of tights, there's no knot , and doubled it had a reasonable tension, it did the few miles I needed anyway!
Lurch

Postby Bertie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
I still know nothing about updating a Moggie, but modern tights get the green light before good old fashioned stockings. Well let me tell you i have been told in no uncertain terms that if i carried a spare fan belt she would not have to wear stockings. In fact if i like stockings that much she said i could wear a pair of my own. So if you read about a Moggie owner having an accident due to crap brakes while wearing stockings, well you have been warned.
Bertie
New Poster

England (en) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Return to Introduce Yourself