Roadworthiness testing for vehicles of historic interest

Anything goes - chassis, V6's, V8's etc.
Image Image

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 4 years in a row
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

So this lot will be discussed, changed , discussed again and changed again until we exit the EU then it's back to square one and more discussions. I recon we've got about ten years before anything happens and the oil will have run out by then :roll:
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

I didn't think it was a good idea to exempt pre 1960 cars from the MOT test but they did. After reading the following except, I cant believe they are even considering extending it to 40 year old cars. :roll:

This is mainly for safety reasons as the Impact
Assessment shows that vehicles first registered between 1978 and
1987 (broadly 30-40 years old when the regulatory changes need to
be made) fail 33.7% of MOT tests. For vehicles registered between
1960 and 1977 the failure rate is 25.3% and for pre-1960 vehicles is
14.8%. There are also approximately twice as many vehicles in the
1978-87 age group involved in personal injury road accidents
compared with 1960-1977 vehicles.

These figures are based on cars that have an annual test, so surely the pass rates would fall even further if a car hadn't been tested for say three years, as defects would not have been noticed and rectified at least during the previous year.
RagnarImage Previously owned Cassie Image Julie Image
MickEssex

Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

I The Times today
Big Jim

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Easy and sensible option is to have MOT's for all vehicles (age appropriate) and a flat rate road tax of say £50 a year for all cars over 40 years old. I also think that the zero rated cars of today should pay a nominal amount too.
I fear that they are trying to outlaw the modified car though, but if they pass an MOT then there should be no problem.

PO
Image Image

plastic orange

plastic orange wrote:Easy and sensible option is to ....

Come on, they won't go for the sensible option! And it seems the EU want to promote historic cars by not testing and not taxing. The whole thing now is how to comply with the new directive regarding modified cars not being historic. It says they prefer option 3 so I guess that is what we will end up with. So the MoT will not be needed on anything over 40 years - but will apply to any cars that are substantially modified.

And yes I know our membership of EU might well end soon.
austin

There is no mechanism for changing a historic vehicle back to plg, just like there was no choice when forced to go historic. I'm sure it will be that anything substantially modified will be sent for a BIVA test and that's you off the road and reg no lost until it's tested to a frankly bizarre set of rules - at a cost :evil:

PO
Image Image

plastic orange

I wonder what all those converted convertibles will be classed as ? Including mine . Chopping off the roof is a pretty big modification , and then with a different engine and gear box , brakes in many .
Big Jim

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

plastic orange wrote:Easy and sensible option is to have MOT's for all vehicles (age appropriate) and a flat rate road tax of say £50 a year for all cars over 40 years old. I also think that the zero rated cars of today should pay a nominal amount too.
I fear that they are trying to outlaw the modified car though, but if they pass an MOT then there should be no problem.

PO

I think you've hit the nail on the head. However if they intend to go down the 'Option 3' route, I think that the 8-point rule would be the most sensible option regarding what constitutes ' 'radically altered'. It's not perfect (i.e. new standard spec springs or a replacement steering rack loses you the relevant points), but it's a lot better than the rest of the EU has.
Yes, I know the vote went to 'Brexit', but until Article 50 is invoked and the exit process is complete, we are still governed by EU regs.
twincamman

twincamman, I read the 8 point system slightly differently. Standard springs (new) don't lose you any points, and a replacement rack doesn't either. But zeromods to the body could be a problem. You would be allowed to put a modern engine in, but not allowed to modify the bulkhead a little bit to get the engine in.
austin

I think this is all crazy,the whole 8 point rule ridiculous,i have no problem with putting car through mot every year and if they say car is safe it should be road worthy,but with 8 point rule they're saying i could put a 1000bhp engine in a completly standard moggy with drum brakes and terrible suspension and that is safe!!!!!STUPID!,
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Cut off date for responses is 2nd November, please complete the survey, don't let apathy destroy our hobby.

PO
Image Image

plastic orange

I don't think using the 8 point system is very favourable to a lot of people on here. I don't agree with no testing at all, but then the majority on here seem to agree. None of us wants the media scrutiny of our hobby just because some numpty has found a Minor (other classics are available) in a barn put a new battery and some fresh fuel in it and gone careering down the road in to a bus queue or kids outside a school. We should know our cars are safe to drive our loved ones around in and I would hope we all want the same to be true of the classic or any other car coming from behind or towards us.
Make Minor Wild Un
trog34

Awards: 6
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1)

PostThis post was deleted by Panky on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:57 pm.

The more folk that comment the better. In truth I think we're in for a shafting - limited mileage and modded motors(including all those converted hard top minors) sent for a biva which is an unrealistic fudge and expensive. MOT for all vehicles is the way ahead and even some form of payment for using the road. However I really don't get why some new motors are free tax as they wear out the roads a lot more than my motorcycle.
The motor manufacturers are after driverless vehicles and electric too, and the government wants to have pay to drive, so guess what?

PO
Image Image

plastic orange

Next

Return to Extreme Modifications