Well, I haven't posted on here for a while but that doesn't mean that there hasn't been any work done!
I was just unsure how to approach this next bit!
The picture of the engine above might have been a clue.
Instead of messing about matching 'this' engine to 'that' gearbox and with the associated clearance issues around the steering rack, I have decided to mount the complete engine and gearbox in the back of the truck.........
This will also add some weight over the back wheels where it will be needed most.
This meant that I had to take drastic measures.
So here goes. :D
The angle grinder came out and did this;-
Rear chassis cut off. Old chassis members opened up ready to accept new metal for the new cross-member.
New chassis cross-member pieces cut from box ready for welding together and fitting into/onto ends of original chassis.
New cross-member fitted into place. New top plates welded in for strength. Notice the triangular pieces on the cross-member.
I also got the Ford cross-member with the engine/box. This is the trial fit.
New rear chassis build started. Here's the rear cross-member.
Rear legs made and welded up. Connected to rear cross-member. The mounting holes for the rear sub-frame bolts have all been drilled and have had thick wall tubing added to prevent the box collapsing when the bolts are tightened.
Mocked up on the engine/sub-frame.
Preparing to join the new rear chassis to the old.
Measure 3 times, adjust and measure again! You can't rush this bit.
Connecting pieces added.
Much more to follow soon.
As usual, cheers for looking in!