Space framed moggy

Anything goes - chassis, V6's, V8's etc.

Re: Space framed moggy

Postby 58 MOGGY » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:38 pm

Been testing moggy this week,had bit of water leak and an oil leak,but both just needed quick tweek to sort,im using special cemical instead of water and horrible slimey stuff,(130c boiling point,and dont rust the block),going to have to move exhaust as goin to to smash off at some point,bought a long piece 4" stainless pipe and have squashed to about 1 3/4" by about 6" with fork lift at work,will now run down lenght of car and exit rear,bit more room for box as boot floor couple inches higher than main floor,other than that car is driving great although bit scary,handling seems bit twitchy,steering is instant,dont think quick rack was necessary,its driving such a small car,im not used to it,every time i drive get more feel for it,think adding roll bars would be an idea,feels super quick,only taking to about 4500rpm as running in engine,loving it :lol:
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby plastic orange » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:46 pm

It takes a while to get used to power in a Minor. My car has very long throttle pedal travel, so needs a real shove to get full power. Very seldom over 3,000 revs (108 mph in top). You will get used to it, but you need a wide open space to experiment.

PO
Image Image

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 4 years in a row
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Made my new exhaust last couple evenings,fits real tight to floor,got at least couple inches more ground clearance,should work well, refit tomoz
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:45 pm

New exhaust is great,so much quieter (for me)now it exits rear,before was under passenger window so i could hear quite loudly,ive wrapped the whole pipe back to box so that deadens the tone,the problem im having is squealing front brakes,dont matter what i do i cant stop it and its the loudest squeal you ever did here,any ideas would greatfully be recieved,first i thought compound to hard,got softer pads,stayed the same,special stickers and heat grease on back of pads,stayed the same,have sanded leading and trailing edges on pads,stayed the same,have just cut extra grooves in pad with hacksaw thinking that may help.Under hard braking its fine,under light normal braking you need ear plugs,help any ideas
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby Custard » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Edges of pads moving freely in the caliper and not contacting the hub.

Are they double piston or single piston and the housing moves across.

No marks on the inside of the wheel?

I have a similar problem on a mountain bike with hydraulic discs and it only goes if I file the whole surface of the pad, unfortunately they glaze over again and the squeal returns until I scuff the surface again.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby MartinB » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Are the calipers 'motorsport' calipers?

The motorsport ones don't tend to have anti sqeal pads in them (well Hispec ones anyway).

The ones on my Morris squealed a lot, they were motorsport calipers.

'Road' calipers normally have all the anti squeal pads in them.
MartinB

Awards: 3
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Pads all moving free,were a bit to free as i could here them rattling in caliper when on bumpy road,they are 4piston ap5000 series,had them on cosworths for years never made a sound,good clearance on wheel,
Bit of mountainbiker my self,shimano brakes seem to squeal a bit,i always use a thinner or panel wipe on discs after washing as found cleaners made brakes squeal,mmm maybe should try that on moggy ,give it all a good clean and degrease
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:26 pm

Yeah they are motorsport brakes,they had very hard compound which perfect for track day,what i need are the ferodo ds2500 as that what i used in my cosworth,brake kit came with ds3000 race pads,i have read the ds2500 have anti squeal compound,might have to wait till payday,
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:49 am

Had bit of nightmare this week,went to local car meet on thursday night,on way back i just got on bit of straight road put foot down a bit,shifting into forth suddenly seemed to explode under bonnet,white smoke everywhere,car filled completely,couldnt see where im going so stuck wipers on on and just smeared and made worse,pulled to side of road got out and the road i just came up was like thick fog,looked under bonnet and the chemical im using instead of water was everywhere,couldnt see what had happened,so luckily a mate was following me and towed me home,when home took front cam pully cover off and could see that the water pump was no longer attached to block,think bolts had came undone(dont know how as i am mr loctite)but the water pump stayed attached to block as stuck on with sealer,when i put foot down pump popped off and spewed all the fluid straight on turbo and exhaust making smoke screen,so have removed intercooler and rad refitted water pump with stronger loctite and differant bolts as used domed alan bolts first time,worse thing was clean up of the chemical water,sticky slimey stuff everywhere,had to use brake cleaner all over engine bay and whole under side of car,have now filled car with just water,not using that chemical again,went out last night and all seems good so nightmare resolved,looking forward to hotrod drags at avon park :D
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby Plin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:02 pm

:shock: sounds rather alarming. Thank goodness you were able to stop safely but :D great that you've managed to fix it
Plin

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby Panky » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:42 pm

What a mess :( I know a guy with a Stag who uses the Welsh named waterless coolant - the engine still over heats
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:18 pm

Ah good old triumph stag,over heating was there speciality :lol:
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby Panky » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:41 pm

It was indeed :D
This guy spent an awful lot of money getting it re-built, and the coolant was put in as a precaution, but every time he goes out it's fine on the outward trip but on the way back the engine gets hot and the coolant is ejected into the catch tank :?
Panky

Postby Paul WAP347 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:53 am

Dunk glad you managed to find the problem & stopped safe !
Paul WAP347

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Been playing with the car today,ive been running in with about 1psi boost,today thought time to go up to about 18psi and now car is flying,actualy feels bit more stable but accelerates like crazy,spining wheels going into third,bit lively going into forth to,will be going up to 24psi but not just yet, :D i also sorted squealing brakes,bought some ferodo ds2500 ahhhh bliss silent bloody loverly,were driving me crazy,
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

PreviousNext

Return to Extreme Modifications