Posting photos (and creating albums) with Photobucket

Photo posting guides.
You will need to register an account for Photobucket, so go on over to www.photobucket.com and click on "Sign up" if you haven't got one, or login with your username and password if you do.

Once logged in you will see a screen similar to the one below. It won't be exactly the same, don't worry about that.

Its a good idea to organise your images by albums from an early stage they do not need to be moved later on, and so links do not get broken, so we'll do that now.

1) To make a new album hover your mouse over the "Upload to" button as shown below circled in red:

2) Another menu will appear. Choose "New album" as shown below:

3) The following page will appear. Here, you can name your album and set the privacy settings. You can call the album anything you like, though its best to relate it to what the album will contain or be used for to ease organisation. Where privacy settings are concerned, its up to you. If you choose "Public" people will be able to browse through your album freely - but not actually change anything. If you choose "Private" people will only be able to see photos that you specifically post links to, as I am doing here with the screen shots.

4) As you can see from the shot below, I'm making an new album called "Test", with the appropriate settings:

Ignore the "Add as an album to" for now.

5) Click on "Add Album" and the following page will appear:

6) You are now "in" your new album and ready to add pictures :)

Now you've made your album, we can add pictures to it.

Note, if you log out of Photobucket and want to find your album when you log back in, your albums will appear in the area circled below. This screenshot is an example of how my albums appear:

1) Before we upload for the first time, its a good idea to set the options for the photos being uploaded, i.e. the size.
To do this, click on "more options" below the "Upload Images and Videos" button, as shown below:

2) The following screen will appear. Essentially, we want to set the "Basic dimensions" to "Large (640 x 480)" as this is the size most suitable for message board use. If you wish to upload a bigger file for another use then choose whatever size you like.

Ignore the video options for now.

At the bottom of the screen there are "Other options". I would suggest putting a tick in the "Scramble filenames so nobody can guess your links"  for privacy purposes. This basically means that if, for example, your photos were names sequentially, i.e. photo1, photo2, photo3 etc then it would be easy for someone to guess the name, and so link of your photo, and view it. Allowing Photobucket to scramble the name of your photo stops this happening. This has no impact on the photos stored on your computers hard drive so don't worry.

3) Click on "Save" circled in red below and we're ready to upload.

4) Now back on the main screen, click on "Upload Images and Videos":

5) A window, as shown below, will open up allowing you to browse through the folders on your hard drive and find the photo you want to upload. When you find the picture (I'm using one called "Picture 001" in a folder called "Test") either double click on it using the left mouse button, or click once on it to highlight the file in blue, then click "Open" as shown below:

Note, if you want to upload more than one file there are two methods. You can either run through the step above for each file you wish to upload. Or you can select more than one file at a time by holding down the control "Ctrl" button on your keyboard while clicking once on each file in turn that you wish to upload. Double clicking on the files does not work when using this method; you must select each file by clicking on it once with the left hand mouse button(while holding the control key), then click on the "Open" button.

6) When you upload(s) are completed the following screen will appear, with your images shown ready for use - I have uploaded a photo of a gauge as an example:

7) In order to show your picture on, for example, a message board, you need to insert the path to your image so your Internet browser knows where to go to fetch the image.
To do this hover your mouse over the picture that you want to appear in your message  - a menu will appear as shown below:

8 ) Click once on the "IMG Code" option at the bottom, so it is highlighted in blue as shown:

9) Then, with the right hand mouse button, click once on the now highlighted blue area. This will reveal another menu, from which you need to click once with the left hand mouse button, on "Copy":

10) You then need to paste the line of code that you have just copied into the message you want to write on the forum. Paste this line of code in the place you want the picture to appear. To paste the code, just put your cursor where you want the picture to appear, then click once with the right hand mouse button to open the menu in the same way as in step 9. Then click "Paste" with the left hand mouse button.

Your photo should now appear  :D
mrbenn
What magic door?

Awards: 2
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1)

Postby minormadman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:41 pm

This is exactly the sort of help that I was thinking of Ben youre a mind reader.
It's just going to all sorts of helpful to all sorts of members-both new and also established members who may wish to change over to another hosting site for albums -well done that man  :)

"What goes around-comes around"

"You never know when its your turn next-so be as good as you can be"

Phillip Mellor-Grimethorpe school teacher, 1959
minormadman
Uncle Albert

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner 2015 (1)

England (en) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby fussyoldfart » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:50 am

Having set up your album(s) then you post a link to the pictures here, is that the plan?  So if I already have albums on Picasa can I do the same thing with them? A link is a link.  

OK, let's try it.  Here is a link to my Morris Minor album and if you are clever when it's open you can find two other related albums, one on the Alta and one on a Morris Isis that I would love to see in a good home.

http://picasaweb.google.com/fussyoldfart/MorrisMinor?locked=true#

Darrell
The hurrier I go the behinder I get :-)
fussyoldfart

Awards: 3
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Postby mrbenn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:13 am

Thats exactly it, Darrell. What you are looking for to post a photo is a line of code that starts with the [img] tag.

Can only see the Morris photos on your Picasa album, maybe the Alta photos are private?
mrbenn
What magic door?

Postby minormadman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:24 am

Good morning Darrell, sorry my friend I cannot see anything using the link.
I think I am doing it ok , so something else must be in error.

I think it's just great having someone work at producing these sort of assistance threads.

They will be of great use in the future I know.

I wish there had been something like this earlier this year, (the ones I found I did not understand) I spent and inaudible amount of time trying to ease my problem of not being able to type-not know my way around a 'puter and just simply trying to explain what I was trying to do or show everyone.

These pictures are just terrific (top 'o the class Mrben) again.

minormadman
Uncle Albert

Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)

Postby fussyoldfart » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:28 pm

I get fooled on these links sometimes because Google/Picasa will recognize me and automatically allow full access.  I'm glad Ben was able to get into at least the Minor album and I see no reason Cliff couldn't.  Anyway I will probably make these public if I can control comments and editing. I sure don't want other people changing them.

Watch this space  :)
fussyoldfart

Postby Big Al » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi Darrell

I tried your link, at first it looked as if I wouldn't be able to look at your photos until I clicked onto your name. Then the set of Morris Iris appeared. Maybe Cliff didn't continue clicking.

As I'm not registered with Picasa I couldn't comment etc. So you should be safe from random idiots.

I did post a more direct way to post photos a while back which works for me very well:

http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/about1966.html

If you have images that fit the bill on your PC you can download then direct.

Can't work out if you're in BC or Ont. I'm visiting my friends in Banff Ab, next year, If you've ever been, you may have seen their Blue Moggie convertible called Winston. Sticks out in them parts.
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 9
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Postby fussyoldfart » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:07 pm

I have lived in Ontario, Quebec, Ontario, British Columbia and Ontario currently.  I have also visited or worked in all but the extreme Northern territories.  I'd still be in BC except most of the grandkids are in Ontario.

Banff is lovely, we'll be not far from there in Calgary at Christmas.

Did you get into the Alta pictures?  As I begin to rebuild that engine again I will be posting more pictures.  Will look up the link you sent and see about using it later. Right now I have an auction to attend to   :)

Darrell
fussyoldfart

Postby mrbenn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:30 pm

It looks like, at the moment, the link above goes to an album that is not unlocked for public viewing.

Cliff -  click on "View Darrell McDonald's Gallery" then it shows the Isis pics - very nice car by the way Darrell!
mrbenn
What magic door?

Postby Big Al » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Darrell the Alto photos must be locked. Only the Isis can be seen it seems.

Maybe you should get loading some onto the showroom/project page. That's the best place to show off your cars.

Hope the Isis gets a good home, although anywhere around OK would be a great place to be!
Big Al
Furry Feet

Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby minormadman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 pm

I am much obliged Ben and BigAl, very interesting to see Darrells details.

minormadman
Uncle Albert

Pictures

Postby fussyoldfart » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:16 pm

I have just changed the Alta set to "Public" and here's the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/fussyoldfar ... Pictorial#

Isn't that Isis a shame?  I'm afraid he's going to drag it out into the snow and rain (or worse) because he wants the space to work on an MGB.

http://picasaweb.google.com/fussyoldfart/MorrisIsis#

Are we in the open forum here? I can never see the difference between the forum and private messages when I'm writing.  
If this is open everyone is welcome to go look at the pictures.
As I said, there will be more photos coming when I strip it again and resume the overhaul.
fussyoldfart

Postby minormadman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks for sharing with us Darrell. Good luck with the ad re the Isis.
I have never ever seen one close up, but you are right there, they do look superb in two tone.
I do remember driving around in a very familiar shape in Bombay during many visits in the 70's and 80's-as you'll all recall .
Also good quality pictures too -thanks

minormadman
Uncle Albert

Postby Big Al » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Very nice.

Darrell. So you know this forum is public. If you want to send a private message to someone you use the 'pm' button under their entry. They will get a email saying a 'pm' is waiting for them. Hope that helps.
Big Al
Furry Feet

Return to Posting Photos