diy disc brakes

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Re: diy disc brakes

Postby geezer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 pm

I just noticed the link to the EMC newsletter is broken. If you want more information send me an e-mail and I'll send all I have including a bill of materials, instructions, and CAD drawings of the brackets.

durningcharles@gmail.com

I know a DIY conversion is not for everyone. If you are willing to put in a little effort the payoff is huge. I was able to do my conversion for about $120.00USD by making the brackets myself and shopping for the parts. That is a huge savings over the available kits.
geezer

United States (us) US Mississippi (ft)

PostThis post was deleted by MickEssex on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:18 pm.
Reason: duplicate post

Postby geezer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:06 pm

Maybe this link will work

http://www.msemc.org/images/user_files/files/OSUSep15

Keep in mind with this conversion the PDC does not change and there is no need for wheel spacers.
Give an Englishman a car and he'll make it leak
geezer

Postby emjay » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:32 pm

You're getting some good comments here. Nice set of photos. I see you did drill the rotors to fit the Minor/Spritget hubs. The photos also show that there is a space between the Spritget disc hub and the rotor. What is the diameter of the center hole/cavity in the front rotor? Do you think it will fit over BMC drum brake front hub? But would the caliper clear Minor wheels? I assume on the Nissan it is sandwiched between the wheel and hub. It looks like the rear disc will fit on the front hubs as the drums originally did. The braking surface on the rear disc looks smaller, but might be a good disc for a front only conversion.
emjay

Postby emjay » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:44 pm

Charles, I viewed a few rotors and it 's possible that there are many possible options for finding one that will simply slide over a standard front hub as the drum did. Re-drilling also may not be required. 3/8 studs on 4" PCD will should fit nicely in 7/16 stud on 100mm rotor. If it doesn't center well, then the retaining screws would take care of that until the wheel is tightened. A Marina style adapter plate (as yours are) is not that difficult to make to mount a chosen caliper. Floating calipers with one piston shouldn't be too difficult to fit behind the wheels. Just need a rotor with a suitable offset. This is a project I'll be able to take on at some point.
emjay

Postby geezer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:53 pm

If it helps here are some part Nissan numbers for the calipers

41010F4303, 41010F4306, FRC10699
41000F4303, 41000F4306, FRC10700

Rotors

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 19294232

Those cars have both the 9.75" rotors and 9.13" rotors. The 9.75" will fit within the stock 14" Morris wheel. That being said I have 5 stock wheels. Using the caliper adapter bracket (4 holes) only 2 of my wheels cleared the caliper. The other 3 touched the caliper. When making that bracket you may have to move the caliper holes in slightly so the wheel can clear the caliper. There is plenty of room on the rotor.

If you have 13" Rostyle wheels. The caliper and 9.13" rotor will clear. I have not tried that combo on a Morris. It was test fit on a Frogeye Sprite. It did not clear the original frogeye wheels.

I have 14" alloy wheels on my Morris. There is plenty of room for the brackets as drawn, caliper, and 9.75" rotor.
geezer

Postby geezer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:06 pm

emjay wrote:You're getting some good comments here. Nice set of photos. I see you did drill the rotors to fit the Minor/Spritget hubs. The photos also show that there is a space between the Spritget disc hub and the rotor. What is the diameter of the center hole/cavity in the front rotor? Do you think it will fit over BMC drum brake front hub? But would the caliper clear Minor wheels? I assume on the Nissan it is sandwiched between the wheel and hub. It looks like the rear disc will fit on the front hubs as the drums originally did. The braking surface on the rear disc looks smaller, but might be a good disc for a front only conversion.

Emjay,

I didn't explore drums that would fit outboard of the original Morris hub. With some research there could be one. On my conversion the rotor is mounted inboard of a Midget hub. The space you see is with the Nissan rotor seated against the Midget hub as the Midget rotor would be. No spacers.

In contrast I did find a rotor that would fit outboard of the drum brake hub on my Magnette. That required machining the hub for the rotor to pilot.

Haven't tried the rear disc on the front. Ther Nissan rear rotor is a thin solid rotor so another caliper would be used.

Send me an e-mail and I can send more details on my conversion

durningcharles@gmail.com
geezer

Postby geezer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:13 pm

emjay wrote:Charles, I viewed a few rotors and it 's possible that there are many possible options for finding one that will simply slide over a standard front hub as the drum did. Re-drilling also may not be required. 3/8 studs on 4" PCD will should fit nicely in 7/16 stud on 100mm rotor. If it doesn't center well, then the retaining screws would take care of that until the wheel is tightened. A Marina style adapter plate (as yours are) is not that difficult to make to mount a chosen caliper. Floating calipers with one piston shouldn't be too difficult to fit behind the wheels. Just need a rotor with a suitable offset. This is a project I'll be able to take on at some point.

Emjay,

I have a rotor data base listing rotors by size. Send me an e-mail and I'll send the data base. The part numbers are NAPA numbers. Once you choose a rotor I'll see if I can get you some useful information.

BTW the Nissan parts are not the only possibilities for Front/4 wheel disc brakes. That is just what I had stumbled upon. Since all of the pieces came from the same car it stood to reason that the braking would be balanced. Yes 100mm PCD rotors will slip over the 4" PCD. Keeping the rotor concentric can be a challenge. What I did was redrill the rotors to fit snugly over the 3/8 studs. That worked out well.
geezer

Postby geezer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:19 pm

I just test fit my new laser cut brackets. I found that the webbing of the stock Morris 14" wheel centers do touch the caliper. A little massage with a BFH will solve the problem or you can move the Caliper on a little by relocating the caliper holes in the adaptor bracket. Since I have alloy wheels this is not an issue.

Wheel mod.JPG

wheel fit2.jpg

IMG_0550.JPG

Laser cut brackets (1).JPG
geezer

Postby geezer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:01 am

Brackets fro the front disc brake conversion are now available from Gerards Garage

http://gerardsgarage.com/
geezer

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes