Clutch pedal/shaft removal

Standard & modified running gear

Clutch pedal/shaft removal

Postby agb32 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi,
Can anyone give me some tips on how I should remove the clutch pedal shaft? Part COM105 (I think)...

Mine has snapped, so I need to put in a new one of these:
http://www.gsjones.co.uk/clutches/477-c ... r-h-d.html

Specifically, how to extract the silver bit from inside the chassis beam...

Thanks.
agb32

United Kingdom (uk) UK Durham City (ea)

Re: Clutch pedal/shaft removal

Postby Custard » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi,

The silver bit is all part of it, welded to the pedal.

It all slides out of the chassis as a single piece.

Is it seized with the brake, or loose and wobbly?

If it is loose then take the front carpets out and remove the floor.

If it is seized then get some penetrating oil on it from underneath and from the top, pull back the carpet and remove the small part of the floor.

The fluid can then work its magic while you remove the front carpets and the rest of the floor, which can be an easy job if the machine screws are in good order and the captive nuts stay captive. If not you will get chance to repeatedly oil the pedal bush, try and move them in opposite directions by hand too, and say a few choice words to the car. Worst case you have to drill some out and/or get someone underneath to hold the captive nut.

Once the floor is out disconnect the clutch linkage, remove the nut from the end of the shaft.

As the brake pedal is on the same shaft you need to remove the return spring and also you may have to move it a bit if the shaft has wear ridges in it, which it will have if you think it is bad enough to need removing.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby agb32 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks. I've managed to get the old part out (which has snapped, so is in 2 pieces) from underneath.

However, putting the new one in looks tricky - I think I'll have to remove the floor - and looking at some of the bolts/screws, they may need drilling out...

Thanks.
agb32

Postby Custard » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:43 pm

Yes floor should really be out.

I have seen them bent back, but they never go back neatly.

The original screws are brass, but do still seize, sometimes with underseal.

You do need a good screwdriver that is the right shape, they are not posidrive and need a phillips screwdriver that is not too pointy.

Sean.
Custard

Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby philthehill » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:33 pm

The screw driver needed is indeed a Philips.
The correct Philips is Pat no: 663163.....Stanley No: 303......No 3 PT.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANLEY-FATMA ... 2359132640

The screws are 1/4" BSF. Before replacing/refitting the screws run a 1/4" BSF tap through the 1/4" BSF captive nut.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engineeers-Th ... Sw44BYNZWA
philthehill

Postby Custard » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:59 am

Well I don't have one of those, but this is stamped No 3 and has been in the family for years.

Kept specially for those screws.

Sean.

[attachment=0]Floor Screwdriver.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
Floor Screwdriver.JPG
Custard

Ireland (ie)

Postby agb32 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi all,
I've managed to change it okay... for future reference, this is what you need to do:

Floor where the driver and passengers feet are must be removed (i.e. the bit that goes over the gear stick. This should just be a case of unscrewing/unbolting the bolts and lifting it out. Drivers seat should also be removed (4 bolts).

For me this was complicated because several of the screws refused to move easily, and the floor seemed to be glued down with some black mastic (which must have been in 1998 when the car was refurbished).

Note - its not enough to remove part of the floor and attempt to bend it - it must all be removed.

With the floor removed, you then get good access, and it is possible to slide the shaft in place. I removed one of the bushes, and put this on the shaft first, before pushing it in. It required a bit of force, wriggling, and the occassional hammer to get it all in.

Once in place, the linkage can be reconnected, and the floor replaced... adjustment of the clutch (using the adjustment rod) will then almost certainly be required - but this is easy to do.

Hope that helps someone...
agb32

Return to Axle, Gearbox & Diff