Morris Minor Owners

The Morris Minor International Message Board

CHASSIS NUMBERS

Anything not covered by listed topics

CHASSIS NUMBERS

Postby old english white » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:34 am

There has been discussion here before regarding the chassis number (or car number as Morris Motors called it) which is found on an aluminium plate screwed onto the engine bay bulkhead and prefixed by a few letters which signify the model.  This number is the one which is recorded on the registration document and in modern lingo is often refered to as a VIN number.

On the Morris Minor and 1000 this number is also found stamped into the body. Originally this was also on the engine bay bulkhead but after around 1965 the stamping moved to the driver's footwell where rust and repairs have sometimes destroyed it unfortunately.

I thought it might be helpful to show these positions for those who want to check their cars or indeed check a car offered for sale and in a recent idle moment photographed 2 Minor 1000s to demonstrate.

This first photo shows a 1965 car which is possibly one of the last to have used this position under the bonnet.  If your car is this age or older it should be possible to see this.
old english white

Postby old english white » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 am

The second photo shows a slightly later car - a 1967 model - where the body stamping is to the driver's footwell.  A bit of cleaning with emery cloth was required before it was readable.
old english white

Postby old english white » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 am

It goes without saying that if you are looking at a car offered for sale and the number stamped into the body in one of these places is different to that on the aluminium plate and/or the V5 registration document, you should be cautious ..........

If you already own such a car, then........well what you do is up to you of course!

There are always one or two Minors for sale on the internet with slightly doubtful specifications which would be worth checking out......I came across more than one when looking to buy a Convertible a few years ago.
old english white

Postby MM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of the stamping in the driver's footwell. I shall have to investigate that on my Traveller. My saloon has had complete replacement floorpans, so I won't have much joy there!
Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056
MM

id. numbers

Postby POMMReg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Contact either Minormadman or myself if you need your Minors' body number checked.
POMMReg

Postby morrisminorbzh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 pm

My 1970 Traveller does not seem to have anything on the footwell as shown by oew - were all vehicles stamped ? My Traveller still has its original floorpans.
Grommit-1970 Traveller-Almond Green.
Most regretted :
Morris Minor series 2, Black 4 door.
Best French car I've ever bought :
Peugeot 305 GRD Break - died at 350 000 km but engine still good.
Present modern :
Peugeot 307 HDI Break.
morrisminorbzh

Postby old english white » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:13 pm

As you can see from my photo, a certain amount of "digging & cleaning" is sometimes required before you can read them but all later original cars I've looked at have had the stamp there.  Not sure about the very late (1971?) Adderley Park built travellers. It is possible they were different?
old english white

Postby morrisminorbzh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Normally my 1970 Traveller was built at Adderley Park - going to strip off more paint - there's certainly nothing on the floor as oew indicated. Perhaps the numbers were not always stamped in exactly the same place.
Grommit-1970 Traveller-Almond Green.
Most regretted :
Morris Minor series 2, Black 4 door.
Best French car I've ever bought :
Peugeot 305 GRD Break - died at 350 000 km but engine still good.
Present modern :
Peugeot 307 HDI Break.
morrisminorbzh

id puzzle

Postby POMMReg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:56 pm

It's odd LCVs should have a distinct change of location of chassis plates,yet cars should retain the oval plate until the end of production BUT,as OEW has illustrated, the STAMPED chassis nos switched from the bulkhead to the o/s floorpan!
The answer - along with the rear window moulding, MAY lie in Parts Books!
POMMReg

Postby old english white » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:42 pm

The "body number" (as opposed to the chassis number) is stamped on this plate which is welded to the left-hand tie plate on the engine bay floor - Nearside on UK cars.
It probably won't be this visible on most cars due to deterioration/corrosion unfortunately :(. This one is unusually well preserved.

It is these numbers which Chris (POMMreg) is researching and hopes to record as many as possible.  These numbers are also generally visible on a long plate on the other side of the engine bay bulkhead to the chassis number.
old english white

Postby Big Al » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi OEW

You have some nice photos there.

I hope to set up a 'sticky' post on behalf of POMMreg soon to explain what he is doing and show these types of examples.  I've been held up a little but when I do can I use these photos and any others that you can provide that give clear examples of what to look for?

It is hoped that by having a place fixed on the forum for his work and where requests can be made for numbers etc members will help develop this useful tool/reference list.

Cheers, Big Al
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) MMO Fun Award Winner (1)
MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Re: id puzzle

Postby Big Al » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:54 pm

POMMReg:64207 wrote:It's odd LCVs should have a distinct change of location of chassis plates,yet cars should retain the oval plate until the end of production BUT,as OEW has illustrated, the STAMPED chassis nos switched from the bulkhead to the o/s floorpan!
The answer - along with the rear window moulding, MAY lie in Parts Books!

Chris: Your last statement... are you suggesting you know the answer or do you need access to a parts book?

There's a Master List of Spares Parts vol.1-3 for early Morris cars on eBay at the moment. Out of my pocket range but someone may want it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/morris-master ... 4cfee7bc7b
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) MMO Fun Award Winner (1)
MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

chassis numbers

Postby POMMReg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:37 pm

That NMP looks like a '59 Traveller.
Would you please pm it's ch/s nos.
Thanks

Big Al

No, don't know the answer to the 2dr rear body moulding mystery,but in desperate need of a parts book.

Have several LCV ones, which have revealed gems - ideally, I need manufacturers' produced publications to work with.
POMMReg

Postby old english white » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 pm

Big Al:64454 wrote:Hi OEW

You have some nice photos there.

I hope to set up a 'sticky' post on behalf of POMMreg soon to explain what he is doing and show these types of examples.  I've been held up a little but when I do can I use these photos and any others that you can provide that give clear examples of what to look for?

It is hoped that by having a place fixed on the forum for his work and where requests can be made for numbers etc members will help develop this useful tool/reference list.

Cheers, Big Al

Big Al,

You are more than welcome to use the photos for any purpose, and making the info a "sticky" is probably a good idea.  It can only be good for owners to be able to find out more about their cars if they wish to.  When I get a moment, I'll take a picture of the body number plate on the "other" side of the bulkhead too, so folk know where to look :wink:
old english white

Confident(ish)?

Postby POMMReg » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:33 pm

As a result of our research,Minormadman & myself are reasonably confident we can now accurately date Minors by their body numbers!

Our efforts will hopefully progress to a "sticky" to ensure prospective Minor owners are not duped into buying id swops, or worse still, a stolen Minor.

We still need more chassis/body number combinations to work with, so PLEASE send them to me at pommreg@gmail.com

Thanks
POMMReg

Next

Return to General Mog Chat